The Professional School Based Mentoring (PSBM) Philosophy
The Professional School Based Mentoring (PSBM) Philosophy….Because schools can’t do it alone.
The PSBM Philosophy is a “Best Practice” resource used to build capacity, effectively engage family & community, and achieve positive student outcomes.
The Professional School Based Mentoring Philosophy (PSBM) recognizes that our highest risk students DO NOT constitute a homogeneous cluster of youth with like characteristics. The PSBM philosophy skillfully and willfully addresses the gifted learner with anxiety issues to the angry learner with family problems.
- The PSBM Philosophy is a proven evidenced-based research strategy for the highest risk students in primary and secondary settings.
- The PSBM Philosophy holistically addresses the student’s needs, provides the appropriate resources and measures the outcomes.
- The PSBM Philosophy will address the following areas using SMART goal setting: Academic Attitude, Behavior Targets & Curriculum (ABC’s)
- The goals of the PSBM Philosophy are as follows:
- Improved academic performance (usually defined through grades or standard test scores)
- Improved feeling of scholastic competence and confidence
- Improved relations with peers, teachers, and other school personnel
- Increased attendance and class participation
- Improved homework completion
- Increased access to other school resources (such as the library or computer lab)
- Reductions in classroom disruptions, fighting, suicidal ideation/impulse/intent, drugs and alcohol, and other negative school behavior.
- Increased exploration of, or acceptance to, secondary education opportunities.
- Improved job placement, career exploration or college readiness.
- Teacher & parent training & promotion of positive behavioral supports for effective behavior management
- Parent and community engagement and commitment to the student’s academic success.
- The PSBM Philosophy is intended to provide assistance teachers and students, not an additional burden.
- The PSBM Philosophy is NOT a “Here we go again program!” There is invested support over the next 3-5 years to improve the academic and personal lives of our highest risk students.
- Campus referrals will go through a school-based committee (The “Failure Is Not An Option Committee”) to determine students in greatest in need within the school.
- PSBM’s will be assigned to campuses and maintain a caseload of 20-25 students.
- PSBM’s receive on-going specialty professional development, intense supervision and monitoring, and participate in book studies leading to certification as a Certified Professional School Based Mentor.
- Online forms for documentation of Teacher and Parent Input on student progress, Parent Permission, and End-Of-Year assessment will be available.
The multiple dimensions of the student’s life is effectively addressed with the ABC’s:
C Community Support
(Click on above Link)
A Celebration of Unity in the Community
Use the following forms to support the implementation & sustainability of your personalized PSBM philosophy:
- Date January 28, 2017
- Tags Mentors